This time, we went to Manila Catering's grand food tasting at the Light of Love events place in Quezon City.
First the set-up.
It was okay, though not as grand as the pictures in their brochure. But in terms of style, Manila Catering has a classic set-up style; can't go wrong.
For the food, well, it was really good.
I don't know if we were surprised or what, but it was really, really good. I
Okay, here's what we had:
Soup : Cream of Pumpkin - best we tasted so far. Consistency was just right, and we can tell they didn't scrimp on the cream
Salad : We tried their salad bar with their ranch dressing, it was okay. But I liked how they cut their vegetables. Size was just right.
Appetizer : Nachos with fresh salsa - loved their salsa also! And the nacho chips were good, not the the cheap variety
Pasta : Penne Italiana - loved this, too! Gegs said, their pasta was not too rich, but then it makes you come back for seconds... Cos you can't quite figure out what's good about it...
Veggies : Buttered Mixed vegetables with sweet corn - good! I guess they used good butter.
Fish : Cream Dory with Lime Sauce (something to that effect) - LOVED this! Fish was cooked just right, and the sauce wasn't sour at all. Just right.
Pork : Hawaiian Porkchop (something) - not a fan of this one. Sauce was salty for me. And meat wasn't tender
Beef : Roast beef with mushroom sauce - didn't like this one either. Meat was a bit dry. Sauce was too thin.
Chicken : At first we thought this was the chicken with spinach in mornay sauce. But the coordinator said it was the steamed chicken parmesan. Well, if it was the spinach chicken, it was good. But when he said it was the parmesan chicken, well, I don't think I tasted the parmesan. But sure looked like spinach to me, Hehehe
Dessert : brownies and chocolate cake - uh-oh. Wouldn't get this from them even if it was free. So sad, if you like chocolates. Brownie was not chewy (how I like my brownies), and inside it was dry. Sure nice to look at, though. Chocolate cake (they were served in paper cuplets, not as slices) was okay, better than the brownies, but still disappointing. The silvanas and sambo's though, was a different story! Goo-ood! And what I loved in their dessert buffet was the white cake slice. I think it was custard cake, or something. It was good! Moist.
So there you go. We were so full when we left! They had generous servings at the buffet, so it wasn't dyahe to get big slices/servings. I think Manila Catering would be up in our list of possible caterers if not for a very bad review I read about them online... Ohwell. But Manila Catering is a big and established name. So I guess that one bad review wouldn't affect them. Maybe that's why they didn't care. Shame shame. But I'd still recommend Manila Catering. Based from the food, set-up and treatment earlier at their food tasting.
As for the venue, well, Light of Love is an affordable venue here in Quezon City. It's not a new place, but it's HUGE. They have gardens, tents, and function halls. Bet the garden set-up at night would be nice. But since it's big, and can accommodate several events, then there's the issue of privacy. Parking is common, and there's a chance guests would get lost. But I think they have a lot of ushers to help out. It's worth checking out for your function.
I've just come across to your blog finding that it is a very interesting blog!
ReplyDeletethanks! I'm glad you enjoyed reading. I'm afraid I've been a bit busy lately, and I haven't been able to update this blog. :)
ReplyDeleteGreat info, nice review! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete